Fulani herdsmen return to Falae’s farm, destroy crops

Former Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Chief Olu Falae

CHIEF Olu Falae’s farm in Akure has again been attacked by Fulani herdsmen, barely two weeks after the herdsmen kidnapped the former Secretary to the Government of the Federation and kept him for four days.
The herdsmen reportedly moved in their cattle into the farm situated at Ilado on the outskirts of the state capital at about 2am on Monday and destroyed a one-kilometre stretch of maize plantation.
Manager of the farm, Mr Bruno Akhigbodemen, who conducted journalists round the farmland on Wednesday, said the herdsmen ran away before help could come after the workers they met in the farm had raised the alarm.
Akhigbodemen said, “The destruction visited on the farm is devastating. They invaded the farm and made their cows to eat and destroy our maize that covers over one kilometre.
“They came around 2am; one of the workers raised the alarm but before help could come they had destroyed the farm and fled. We quickly informed Baba (Falae) who immediately reported to the police.”
The farm manager said some detectives were thereafter drafted to the farm.
But the spokesman for the state police command, Mr. Femi Joseph, told one of our correspondents on Wednesday that he had not been briefed on the incident.
Our correspondent who visited Falae’s house on Wednesday was told the ex-SGF and National Chairman of the Social Democratic Party was resting and not available to talk.
His Personal Assistant, Capt Moshood Raji, who also confirmed the attack, said, “Baba can’t be reached on telephone now because we just returned from the farm now and he is taking his rest.”
Raji also said that the elder statesman had reported the case to the State Commissioner of Police, Mr. Mike Ogbodu, and that “he (CP) had directed the State CID to move in.’’
‘‘We searched the people who were there yesterday but we could not arrest anybody. But the villagers told us that they saw them moving out of the farm on Monday morning. They said they were moving towards Owo area,” he added.